Saturday, January 31, 2009

FeedBurner: The Review

So I've given FeedBurner some extra time to sort itself out. I'm not 100% happy, but I've decided that It May Stay. (However, if it puts its feet on the couch, leaves the toilet seat up, or eats my Tim Tams*, it's O-U-T-the-door.)

Here's a play-by-play.

Reliability: 4/5
Setup: 4/5
Features: 5/5
Ease of use: 4/5
Integration with Blogger and Google: 5/5
Syndication speed: 3/5

In the reliability stakes, I'm still getting messages telling me my xml page has "failed", which stops syndication dead. However, half an hour later I get a message that all is well, without me doing anything. FeedBurner seems to have issues with server lag. I hope it's temporary.

Setup of any new system is a pain. The downfall for FeedBurner is the sheer number of options. Fully-featured is sometimes a bad thing, and some were impossible for me to understand. As for the options I want, it has them all, and I'm happy with them.

As far as integration goes, only products owned by Google can earn 6 out of 5, however, it's not yet 100% integrated and sometimes pops up a Blogger window inviting you to paste code in manually. I expect that in time this will be seamless.

Now... speed? Or should I say... lack thereof. FeedBurner has never spontaneously syndicated my RSS feed within 4 hours of posting. Left to its own devices, the posts appear in Google Reader well after 1pm. The site post time is always 9:XXam on the blog, however. This is frustrating. However, as long as they still arrive each day I will accept this as the one truly abysmal part of FeedBurner.

* If you don't know what a Tim Tam is, or you've never had one, you MUST seek out a local seller and try them. Also sold as "Arnott's Biscuits" overseas, they are biscuit orgasms. When I say biscuit, it's like a cookie but not. A Tim Tam is two chocolate malt cookies (not as chocolatey as Oreos) with a creamy vaguely chocolate filling (but not strong or sickening sweet) and covered in milk chocolate. And no matter how it's described, it doesn't do the food justice. A favourite pastime of Australian talk show hosts is to make American guests eat these, and the guests are regularly reduced to wordlessness and/or expressions of blissful disbelief. "Mmmmmmmm!" and "Ohhhhh!" and "That is Soooooooo good!" are fairly regular comments. So yeah. Go find them somewhere like Google. It is soooo worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment